Lil Rounds accomplished two impressive feats last night:
- She became the prohibitive favorite on season eight of American Idol;
- She made Paula Abdul seem witty.
Following an incredible performance by Rounds (pictured below) of Mary J. Blige's "Be Without You," the rarely-coherent judge said: "I think we'll be seeing you in the next rounds... and the next rounds... and the next!"
Considering the low bar Abdul sets for herself, this was winning material. That sentiment could actually be applied to the entire third group of American Idol semifinalists.
Following a pair of lackluster audition episodes, almost every contestant last night broguth his/her A-game. Among the best:
- Simon Cowell actually compared Von Smith to Clay Aiken following his rendition of “You’re All I Need to Get By” by Marvin Gaye.
- Felicia Barton didn't make the judges regret casting her as a semifinal replacement, as Kara said she was full of attitude and stage presence during her performance of “No One” by Alicia Keys.
- All the judges loved Scott MacIntyre. He sang “Mandolin Rain” by Bruce Hornsby and Kara responded by saying he moves mountains when he steps on that stage.
- Jorge Nunez broke down in tears following a universally-praised performance of “Don’t Let the Sun go Down on Me” by Elton John.
Who was your favorite semifinalist? Click on the photo below for pics of each aspiring singer from last night...