The show will officially go on for Netflix.
It just be a different show than originally planned.
In the wake of Netflix severing ties with Kevin Spacey, due to the actor being accused of gross sexual misconduct, the streaming company has now announced that House of Cards is NOT going off the air.
A sixth season will, indeed, air.
It simply won’t feature Spacey’s Frank Underwood in any capacity.
Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos confirmed the news on Monday.
About a month ago, Netflix made the decision to part ways with Spacey after actor Anthony Rapp came forward with a scathing allegation:
He claimed Spacey attempted to sexually assault him in 1986, back when Rapp was only 14 years old.
The supposed incident took place in Spacey’s apartment and ended with Rapp fending off a drunken Spacey and fleeing the residence.
Since then, follow-up reports have stated that staffers on the House of Cards set also had many issues with Spacey, as some said he created a "toxic environment" with his inappropriate comments and actions.
Shortly afterward, Netflix released the following statement:
“Netflix will not be involved with any further production of House of Cards that includes Kevin Spacey.
“We will continue to work with [producer Media Rights Capital] during this hiatus time to evaluate our path forward as it relates to the show.”
Just how will Frank Underwood be written off the series?
It’s unclear at this time.
However, House of Cards unintentionally set itself up make Wright‘s Claire Underwood the lead character on last season’s finale.
In an eerie bit of foreshadowing, the episode ended with Wright’s newly-installed President looking into the camera and declaring: “It’s my turn.”
It really will be now.
Spacey has said nothing about being removed from the show that earned him many Emmy nominations.
He did, however, speak out right after Rapp’s accusations went public.
“I have a lot of respect and admiration for Anthony Rapp as an actor,” he wrote on Twitter, expounding as follows:
“I’m beyond horrified to hear his story. I honestly do not remember the encounter, it would have been over 30 years ago.
"But if I did behave as he described, I owe him the sincerest apology for what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behavior, and I am sorry for the feelings he describes having carried with him all these years.”
“This story has encouraged me to address other things about my life…
"As those closest to me know, in my life I have had romantic relationships with both men and women. I have loved and had romantic encounters with men throughout my life, and I choose now to live as a gay man.
"I want to deal with this honestly and openly and that starts with examining my own behavior."
According to a rep, the embattled actor “is [now] taking the time necessary to seek evaluation and treatment."
Sounds like he needs it.