For all intents and purposes, Billy Bush is out of The Today Show.
Multiple sources have said that the embattled anchor is negotiating some kind of buyout with NBC, trying to settle on a deal in which he avoids being fired and collects a hefty payday.
But that doesn't mean this will be the last we hear from Billy Bush.
According to The New York Post, the irritating television personality may actually file a lawsuit against NBC.
On what grounds? Well...
Bush could blame the network for The Washington Post being the outlet to release the infamous video from 2005 of him and Donald Trump talking in an inappropriate manner about Nancy O'Dell, Arianne Zucker and women in general.
It is believed by some that Access Hollywood was in possession of this tape and had initially planned to share it with the world on Friday, October 7.
But then producers thought better of burying such a huge story on a Friday, especially with Hurricane Matthew dominating the news, and decided to shelve it until Monday.
Anxious to get the footage out prior to the second Presidential debate, however, an unknown individual affiliated with the show allegedly leaked the tape to the aforementioned newspaper.
If this really is how events unfolded, Bush could argue that NBC is to blame for the timing of the scandal.
He could also say that he made the network aware of the footage months ago, making it hypocritical of executives to fire him now over any kind of morality clause.
“He told people at NBC about this tape," an insider tells Page Six of Bush, adding:
"What if there was a transcript of the tape, and high-level discussions about when to release it? Which executives were involved, and why did they decide to suppress the tape until October, when they could have aired it in August?
"Was it an oversight or a strategic decision by NBC to affect the race? Billy was far from the only person at NBC who was talking about the contents of this tape.
"On-air talent does not make the decision when to air stories like this.”
It will be up to Bush whether or not he wishes to pursue legal action, but the future of his role on Today has already been decided.
Considering how he egged Trump on in the above video... and how he laughed at lewd comments Trump made... and how he referred to Zucker as "hot" while telling The Donald that he had "scored" by filming a scene on Days of Our Lives opposite the actress...
... there's simply no way Today can keep him on board as host of the show's third hour.
Why would it risk any sort of PR damage over Billy Bush?
Who out there is tuning in on a daily basis to see Billy Bush?!?
Following the release of this video, sources say Bush has been a crying mess.
He apologized as best he could last week ("I was younger, less mature, and acted foolishly in playing along. I’m very sorry."), but millions of people have seen this footage.
Everyone is talking about.
Bush has lost all credibility as a journalist and, some would argue, as a human being in general.
He should consider himself lucky if he negotiates a buyout and slink away quietly, not draw more attention to himself via any kind of lawsuit.
Then, he can await Trump's call after Trump loses the election and sign up for whatever news network The Donald plans to start after this ridiculousness is over.