Could someone please enlighten me as to why Chris Brown is still even a little bit popular?
The tiny part of me that still has a modicum of faith in humanity would think that after he beat the crap out of Rihanna in 2009 his star would've fallen so hard and deep into the earth that he could've never crawled out.
Alas, that didn't happen. Instead, his career still thrives, and instead of learning from his mistakes he's writing rapey lyrics and continuing to act like a giant POS.
Singer-songwriter Bethany Cosentino of the rock duo Best Coast agrees, and is all kinds of fired up about the words to Brown's track "Sex You Back to Sleep," which she describes as "disgusting" and "perpetuating rape culture."
Cosentino went on a 10-tweet rant about how lyrics like the ones in Brown's song should have never been approved.
Included in her Twitter diatribe:
- "Just let me rock, fuck you back to sleep girl, don't say a word no, girl don't you talk" are lyrics to the chorus of a VERY popular song."
- "You already know how I feel about Chris Brown - but WHY/HOW are those lyrics ok? Cool, a song that perpetuates rape culture being a hit."
- "This isn't just about that idiot tho- the fact that's a song in popular culture that some A&R person was like "this is great" saddens me."
- [Sad/eye roll emoji] x infinity at that trash/anyone who thinks its OK to sing about fucking a girl back to sleep + telling her to not say a word."
- "How about this for a review: singing about fucking a girl back to sleep/telling her dont say a word is singing about rape + it's disgusting."
- "Last thing then I'm out- it's an issue even if someone else was singing those lyrics. Rape culture is everywhere + it's a BIG problem."
Earlier this week, in a trailer for a documentary called Welcome to My Life, Brown tries to play on our sympathies when he cried about being suicidal after the domestic violence charge.
Oh, boo fracking hoo.
Perhaps if he truly wanted to repent, he might've avoided writing songs about assaulting women to get what he wants and saying even more rapey things on Instagram.
You go to sleep, Chris Brown. Forever and ever.