According to Fifty Shades of Grey author E.L. James, the sequel will be written by her husband, Niall Leonard. Which would imply there will be a next film, right?
With her announcement and rumors that Jamie Dornan and Dakota Johnson are still negotiating their salaries, it seemed there might be a little trouble getting it off the ground.
However, fans can rest assured that the sequels will be released. When?
Get ready for Fifty Shades Darker and Fifty Shades Freed, which will come to theaters on February 10, 2017 and February 9, 2018, respectively.
Coupling the success of the books and the original films’ close release to Valentine’s Day, Fifty Shades of Grey made $550 million at the global box-office.
With the release of the next two films, they seem to be hoping for fans, lonely hearts, and sadistic couples to spend their Valentine’s Day in the theater.
The sequels are likely to differ from the original Sam Taylor-Johnson directed film. She has left the franchise because of conflicts with author James.
A new director has yet to be hired, though there has been much excitement concerning James’ husband taking over the screenwriting portion of the film:
"Niall is an outstanding writer in his own right, with multiple established credits, and we are lucky to have him join Team Fifty," said producer Michael De Luca.
Leonard’s previous work includes TV shows such as Wild at Heart, Monarch of the Glen, and Wire in the Blood.
Fifty Shades Darker will begin in the first quarter of 2016.
Not everyone is as excited as lonely middle-aged housewives though. Richard Roeper of the Chicago Sun-Times said of the box office smash:
"Basically, they made a lousy, mid-2000s-era Katherine Heigl romance with a handful of explicit sex scenes spliced throughout the familiar clichés.”
Pretty much. Some critics have even gone so far as to call Fifty Shades of Grey the worst film ever made, but hey. Ticket sales are ticket sales.