The Devil Inside bested the box office with a $34.5 million debut this weekend.
The performance was the third-biggest ever for a January opener, and enough to knock Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol out of the coveted No. 1 spot.
Hollywood, which saw ticket sales hit a 15-year low last year, is off to a good start in 2012 as ticket sales surged 30 percent over the same weekend in '11.
Though demoted to No. 2, Ghost Protocol held well, coming up with $20.5 million, and hitting the $400 million mark worldwide. Sherlock Holmes was third.
Meryl Streep, meanwhile, was the hottest ticket by a different metric, with The Iron Lady averaging a weekend-best $34,420 at each theater it played in.
Here's a complete look at the weekend's top movies by revenue:
- The Devil Inside, $34.5 million
- Mission: Impossible-Ghost Protocol, $20.5 million
- Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, $14.1 million
- The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, $11.4 million
- Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked, $9.5 million
- War Horse, $8.6 million
- We Bought a Zoo, $8.5 million
- The Adventures of Tintin, $6.6 million
- Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, $5.8 million
- New Year's Eve, $3.3 million