Lindsay Lohan will be formally charged and arraigned today in court after a stunt in which she allegedly ripped off an expensive necklace from a jewelry store.
While the star claims it's just a misunderstanding (isn't it always?), the L.A. County District Attorney believes Lindsay Lohan is a "seasoned" fashion thief.
That's the primary reason why the actress is being prosecuted for felony grand theft, and you can expect her history in this shady arena to be on full display.
REPEAT OFFENDER: The D.A. will try to paint her as such, and there are certainly enough incidents from which to make a case. [Photo: Pacific Coast News]
In deciding whether to prosecute Lohan, the D.A.'s Office heavily considered THREE OTHER INCIDENTS where Lindsay allegedly pilfered expensive items:
- She was accused of stealing a $12,000 coat in 2008 from an NYC club.
- She was suspected of taking a $400,000 necklace in 2009 from Elle.
- She was accused of taking a $35,000 Rolex from a "friend" in 2010.
Lindsay was not prosecuted or convicted for any of the above, but they show a pattern, and that undisputed fact played a role in pushing the 2011 case.Prosecutors will ask the judge to admit the three incidents into evidence to show "prior bad acts" if the case goes to trial, as well as two other factors:
- Lindsay's repeated run-ins with the law, including two DUIs.
- Lindsay's repeated disregard for legal system by failing to perform probation requirements (not going to alcohol ed class, etc), blowing off court (trip to Cannes, etc), and just being an ass (the f--k you nails, etc).
Most importantly, the D.A. has a surveillance video which shows Lindsay walking out of a Venice, Calif., jewelry store with the $2,500 piece in question.
The necklace is partially hidden by other trinkets around Lindsay's neck. Lohan will be arraigned today at 1:30 p.m. California time. Stay tuned ...