The Los Angeles County Coroner’s Office said today that actress Brittany Murphy's cause of death was pneumonia "exacerbated" by multiple drug intoxication.
Chief Investigator Craig Harvey ruled it an accident.
Murphy also suffered from iron deficiency and anemia, Harvey said, adding that the star, who died December 20, "wasn’t the healthiest person in the world."
Though a number of prescription drugs were found in her bedroom, her husband Simon Monjack claimed that she was only taking Vicoprofen and Fluoxetine.
The latter is an antidepressant to treat menstrual cramps. Harvey said the drugs in her system "will be in the toxicology report" to be released in a few weeks.
R.I.P. Brittany Murphy (1977-2009).
He said that all drugs were "oral medications." Meanwhile, other sources close to Brittany Murphy's autopsy have said the star's death was "preventable."
By that, they mean Brittany's condition was "treatable" but no one took Murphy to the hospital in time. Too much self-medicating with various drugs "pushed her over the line" but the underlying problems were the pneumonia and anemia.
Murphy weighed 115 pounds at the time of her death.
Monjack was questioned a second time this week about what meds Brittany was taking and where they came from. Also, officials want to know why she didn't see a doctor in the months leading up to her death if she was so noticeably ill.