Brace yourselves, folks.
Thomas Markle has given yet another interview.
And he’s done so in light of his daughter and her beloved husband taking their most aggressive step yet to silence their critics and put the awful British tabloids in their place.
They did so due to the publication’s alleged violation of the former’s privacy after it published excerpts from a letter Meghan wrote to her father many months ago.
In his very powerful statement, trashing many outlets for their treatment of his wife, Harry never specifies the letter in question — but it’s widely believed to have been a message Meghan sent Thomas last spring, shortly after she got married.
Thomas, of course, is the one who allowed this letter to be released.
In this message, Meghan tells her dad that he has "broken [her] heart" by giving so many interview and airing his grievances in such public fashion.
So… what has Thomas now done in response to Meghan and Harry’s lawsuit?
He’s once again aired his grievances in public.
“I decided to release parts of the letter because of the article from Meghan’s friends in People magazine,” Thomas told the Mail on Sunday, explaining why he betrayed his daughter’s confidence.
“I have to defend myself. I only released parts of the letter because other parts were so painful. The letter didn’t seem loving to me. I found it hurtful.”
This all gets a little complicated, but here is what Thomas is talking about, broken down by timeline:
- May 2018: Harry and Meghan get married. Thomas does not attend the wedding.
- May/June 2018: Meghan sends her dad a letter that talks about the "painful attacks" against her and Harry he has made in the recent past, asking him to please keep stop doing that.
- Summer 2018: a friend of Markle’s tells People Magazine that Thomas requested a "photo op" with Meghan after receiving her letter, which was the "opposite" of what Meghan was hoping he would do or say.
- Early 2019: Thomas releases Meghan’s letter to the press.
Thomas is saying that this People Magazine article is what set him off and gave him no choice but to expose his child’s heartfelt plea to the world.
"I don’t recognize the person who wrote the letter but I still love my daughter," Thomas told The Mail on Sunday, adding:
"All it would take is one phone call and most of this craziness would stop."
And we’re sure Thomas will get it after going to the very same outlet to which he released Meghan’s letter several months ago. No doubt.
The Mail on Sunday reported that Thomas is also upset by false claims that he requested and received payment for releasing parts of the letter.
The outlet stated that no payment was requested or given for their article on Saturday.
Meghan and Harry’s law firm released a statement last week saying the following:
"We have initiated legal proceedings against the Mail on Sunday, and its parent company Associated Newspapers, over the intrusive and unlawful publication of a private letter written by the Duchess of Sussex, which is part of a campaign by this media group to publish false and deliberately derogatory stories about her, as well as her husband.
"Given the refusal of Associated Newspapers to resolve this issue satisfactorily, we have issued proceedings to redress this breach of privacy, infringement of copyright and the aforementioned media agenda."
In a rare move, Harry also spoke out on this topic:
"The contents of a private letter were published unlawfully in an intentionally destructive manner to manipulate you, the reader, and further the divisive agenda of the media group in question.
In addition to their unlawful publication of this private document, they purposely misled you by strategically omitting select paragraphs, specific sentences, and even singular words to mask the lies they had perpetuated for over a year.
A spokesperson for The Mail on Sunday later told E! News in a statement,:
"The Mail on Sunday stands by the story it published and will be defending this case vigorously.
"Specifically, we categorically deny that the Duchess’ letter was edited in any way that changed its meaning."