Damon and Stefan may be out of The Phoenix Stone.
But viewers witnessed on The Vampire Diaries Season 7 Episode 11 just how these brothers are not of the dangerous woods just yet as a result of the time in their respective personal Hells.
Much to his surprise, Damon was actually forgiven almost immediately for his violent actions to close out The Vampire Diaries Season 7 Episode 10, as Stefan said everyone understood.
Damon thought he was still inside the Stone and the Stone seriously effs with people's minds. Simply enough.
How does Stefan know this so well?
Because we got a glimpse into his journey through Hell this week, which included the endless nightmare of Damon trying to kill Caroline.
Stefan still saw this image for many weeks after being awaken and he finally realized why. He finally realized the message the Stone was trying to tell him:
That he'll never be happy until Damon is out of his life for good.
But, come on. This is Stefan Salvatore. He has Hero Hair. And he ended the hour by assuring Damon that he'll never leave him, that the two are stuck together for life.
It was a very sweet sentiment, but Damon couldn't exactly appreciate it in that moment.
And here's why:
Still haunted himself by his experience in the Stone, Damon kept seeing his Civil War friend everywhere. The dude kept harassing Damon about how he's truly a monster and how it was his job to bring the monster back out.
So, to rid himself of this pseudo stalker, Damon poured gasoline all over his body and set it afire.
But this was the problem with that plan: Damon actually set ELENA's BODY on fire!
Tyler (randomly in town for Caroline's baby shower) agreed to take Damon to visit his unconscious girlfriend, only for Damon to see his hallucination instead of Elena.
He then knocked Tyler out and set the body ablaze, only to later realize it was Elena all along.
He couldn't bring himself to tell Stefan what happened and now we're left to wonder: is Elena's body really burned to a crisp?!?
Elsewhere this week:
- Caroline learned that Alaric was planning to get a job in Texas and raise his twins there. Makes perfect sense as far as wanting to keep them safe, but this made Caroline very sad. She has grown attached to those twins.
- Julian has turned Mystic Falls into one crazy, constant, violent party town, letting his Heretics run loose.
- We learned about The Huntress: the Phoenix Stone sword belongs to her and she will stop at nothing to track down those who have been stabbed with it. And she's on her way to Mystic Falls.
- Might she be the cop who pulled over Matt for drunk driving and who found his collection of weapons in his truck?
- We ask because the flash forward to three years from now featured Matt teaming up WITH The Huntress, letting Caroline go free but admitting that he's helping The Huntress go after Stefan.
That's a lot to digest.
Go watch The Vampire Diaries online if you need to catch up and sound off below on a great episode.