Brian Williams Announces Leave of Absence from NBC Nightly News

by at .

So much for the NBC Nightly News... with Brian Williams.

In the wake of a controversy over how he misled viewers regarding an incident in the Iraq War, the anchor announced on Saturday that he’s taking a leave of absence from his post.

Brian Williams on NBC

"In the midst of a career spent covering and consuming news, it has become painfully apparent to me that I am presently too much a part of the news, due to my actions," Williams said via statement.

He added:

"As Managing Editor of NBC Nightly News, I have decided to take myself off of my daily broadcast for the next several days, and Lester Holt has kindly agreed to sit in for me to allow us to adequately deal with this issue.

"Upon my return, I will continue my career-long effort to be worthy of the trust of those who place their trust in us."

The scandal surrounding Williams began during a January 30 broadcast,, when he erroneously claimed his helicopter was hit by a grenade in March 2003 as he covered the Iraq War.

Williams apologized on air last Wednesday.

Since then, the network has opened an internal investigation into his coverage of the war and other major events, including Hurricane Katrina.

Many have called for Williams to be fired as a result of this lie, despite how attractive his daughter is and despite his ability to rap classic singles.

"We have a team dedicated to gathering the facts to help us make sense of all that has transpired," NBC News President Deborah Turness said in a memo on Friday.

Show Comments
Tags: , , ,