Brooke Burke-Charvet will not be by Tom Bergeron’s side on Dancing With the Stars in 2014, and it was not the co-host’s choice to bid the show farewell.
The 42-year-old confirmed her abrupt, surprising departure Friday.
“I have enjoyed seven seasons co-hosting DWTS but understand the need for change considering the position of the show at this juncture,” she said in a statement.
Putting a positive spin on it as best she can, Brooke Burke says:
“I’ve always been one to embrace change and looking forward to pursuing opportunities I previously wasn’t able to entertain because of contractual obligations.”
But in an appropriately-worded parting shot, she adds, “I’ve seen my fair share of shocking eliminations in the ballroom but this one takes the cake.”
Sources tell E! that Burke-Charvet had no idea her job was on the line until ABC apparently informed her Friday afternoon she wouldn’t be returning.
“We can confirm that Brooke Burke-Charvet will not be joining us next season,” DWTS executive producer Conrad Green said in his own statement.
“She’s been a wonderful part of the Dancing with the Stars family since her triumphant win in season seven and will unquestionably be missed by our entire team.”
“We’d like to thank Brooke for her years of great service.”
Burke-Charvet won season seven with her partner Derek Hough, then later replaced Samantha Harris as cohost for the most recent seven seasons.
DWTS returns in its new one-night format when Season 18 kicks off Monday, March 17. At least no one will boot Brooke out of this exclusive club …