Pauley Perrette may be out of NCIS.
But the actress is not out of the news.
Far from it, in fact.
The veteran series regular bid farewell to television’s highest-rated drama eight days ago, but she’s been making headlines ever since for a series of cryptic Tweets.
Cryptic and disturbing Tweets, we should say.
"I refused to go low, that’s why I’ve never told publicly what happened," Perrette wrote over last weekend, adding mysteriously:
"But there are tabloid articles out there that are telling total lies about me. If you believe them? Please leave me alone. You clearly don’t know me. (Sorry guys, had to be said)."
Perrette announced in October that she was leaving NCIS, on which she had starred as forensic specialist Abby Sciuto since the very first episode.
She said she made the decision a year earlier, but didn’t mention anything at this time about trouble on set.
On May 13, however, she continued her troubling Twitter posting as follows:
There is a "machine’ keeping me silent, and feeding FALSE stories about me. A very rich, very powerful publicity "machine".
No morals, no obligation to truth, and I’m just left here, reading the lies, trying to protect my crew. Trying to remain calm. He did it.
She then really caught the attention of outlets everywhere by alleging that bullying and/or some kind of physical abuse has taken place on set:
I’ve been supporting ant-bullying programs forever. But now I KNOW because it was ME! If it’s school or work, that you’re required to go to? It’s horrifying. I left. Multiple Physical Assaults.
I REALLY get it now. Stay safe. Nothing is worth your safety. Tell someone.
Sort of crazy, right?
NCIS just wrapped up Season 15, has been renewed for Season 16 and there’s been little to no talk at all over the years about these sort of allegations.
In response, however, CBS has acknowledged that Perrette did go to producers or higher-ups with at least one complaint in early 2017 or in 2016.
"Over a year ago, Pauley came to us with a workplace concern," the network said in a statement to Variety on Tuesday, adding:
"We took the matter seriously and worked with her to find a resolution. We are committed to a safe work environment on all our shows.”
That’s a rather broad and vague reply, but it seems to have satisfied Perrette.
"I want to thank my studio and network CBS They have always been so good to me and always had my back," she Tweeted after reading the statement above.
We reported yesterday that tension has existed between Perrette and lead star Mark Harmon for about two years now.
The latter apparently brought in his rescue dog in 2016, only for him to bite a crew member.
Harmon felt terrible and kept the canine away from the set for awhile… until, down the line, it had been properly trained and he could not find a dog-sitter.
Sources told Radar Online that Perrette was the only person affiliated with the show who took issue with the re-emergence of this dog and that she has held it against Harmon ever since.
It’s worth emphasizing, however, that this tiff is NOT what Perrette has been referencing with her "assault" claims.