Stunning news out of Norristown, Pennsylvania today, as Judge Steven T. O'Neill has declared a mistrial in the sexual assault case against Bill Cosby.
Earlier this week, we learned that jurors in the Cosby tiral were deadlocked, but they were initially instructed to continue deliberating.
The judge sent the jury back to discuss the case further in an effort to reach a unanimous verdict, despite 30 hours of previous deliberations.
Today, O'Neill declared that nothing has changed.
The jury is "deadlocked on all counts," he said, declaring a mistrial, after which prosecutors announced that they will retry the case.
"We will evaluate and review our case," said Montgomery County District Attorney Kevin Steele in a statement released this morning.
"We will take a hard look at everything involved, and then we will retry it. As I said in court, our plan is to move this case forward as soon as possible."
The charges against Cosby, 79, stem from rape allegations made by Andrea Constand, a former Temple University employee.
Constand told the jury that Cosby sexually assaulted her a decade ago after giving her drugs that left her unable to move.
More than 50 women have accused Cosby of some form of sexual misconduct, but in every other case, he's been protected from prosecution.
Statute of limitation laws have made taking him to court impossible or virtually so (though he's taken a beating in the court of public opinion).
Attorney Gloria Allred defiantly vowed today to continue fighting for Constand and the other alleged victims of the legendary comediam
"We can never underestimate the blinding power of celebrity," Allred told reporters following the ruling. "But justice will come."
"It's too early to celebrate, Mr. Cosby."
But celebrating is exactly what Cosby's attorneys did.
Speaking to the press as though the case had been decided in their client's favor, they clearly saw no decision as the right decision.
"Cosby's power is back," said Andrew Wyatt, acting as spokesperson for the embattled star's top-dollar defense team.
The surprisingly brief trial went to the jury on Monday after the defense rested its case with just six minutes of arguments.
Jurors deliberated for longer than the trial lasted, but reported to the judge on Thursday that they were unable to reach a unanimous verdict.
In a statement issued today, Judge O'Neill praised the deadlocked jury for its commitment to seeing that justice is served.
"I feel bad for all of you. I really do," O'Neill said.
The judge went on to declare their effort to reach a verdict "one of the most courageous and selfless acts I've ever seen."
It is not known how many members of the jury were leaning toward conviction or acquittal, but all it potentially takes is one.
There's no word yet on when the second Cosby trial will commence, but he faces multiple years for each of three counts.
Given the serious felony charge of aggravated sexual assault, he could potentially spend the rest of his life in prison.
For now though, Cosby remains a free man.
We will have further updates on this developing story as more information becomes available. For now, discuss below ...