The odds remain ever in the favor of The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1.
For the third consecutive weekend, Jennifer Lawrence and company dominated all competition at the box office, taking in $21.6 million this past Friday and Saturday.
Based on studio estimate, Katniss Everdeen should be smiling widely in the following photo: The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 has now earned $257.7 million in the United States.
Mockingjay - Part 1 is on track to become the second-highest grossing movie of 2014 by Tuesday or Wednesday, but it's still approximately $78 million shy of where the previous installment, "Catching Fire,” landed in its third weekend of release last year.
Here’s a look at the estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to Rentrak:
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1, $21.6 million ($31.6 million international).
- Penguins of Madagascar, $11.1 million ($23.5 million international).
- Horrible Bosses 2, $8.6 million ($7.1 million international).
- Big Hero 6, $8.13 million ($4 million international).
- Interstellar, $8 million ($22.8 million international).
Here's a look at Lawrence, Liam Hemsworth and company in the third edition of this beloved franchise: