Think your family is effed up?
On The Vampire Diaries Season 6 Episode 8, viewers were invited to Friendsgiving. But Caroline’s perfectly-organized dinner was quickly hijacked by a tale about Liv and Luke’s family… which also includes Jo and Kai.
Get comfortable, THGers. This episode spewed forth a great deal of mythology and exposition…
Jo vaguely recognized Liv as soon as she arrived for Friendsgiving and we later learned why via a series of flashbacks. Let’s hammer them out bullet-point style, shall we?
- Jo and Kai were twins. They were members of the Gemini Coven, which turned its leadership over to twins once those siblings reached the age of 22.
- But the family knew Kai was kind of insane, so the parents kept having babies until another set of twins came along: Liv and Luke.
- Kai finally snapped one day (May 10, 1994 to be exact), killing all his sibling and going after Liv and Luke. But Jo used her magic to make them vanish and then hid her magic in a knife that she buried near her house in Portland.
- Did we also mention that when the twins turn 22 they actually merge? The strongest twin absorbs the weaker one and THAT witch becomes coven leader.
- So Jo tricked Kai into thinking she was on board with this plan. The coven gathered around for the merging ceremony, only for them to curse Kai to be stuck inside May 10, 1994 forever.
And that’s where we met him on The Vampire Diaries Season 6 earlier this year.
Stefan, Alarc and Damon, meanwhile, were in Portland to check out this Gemini Coven.
They came across Kai’s father, who overheard Damon saying he knew Kai and cast some sort of spell that made Damon invisible to his brother and best friend.
After hearing all about Damon’s adventures in 1994, Papa Parker was afraid Kai would return, kill Jo, take her power and rule the world. So he cast another spell, this one meant to actually kill Jo and prevent Kai from usurping her power.
Fortunately, Elena was able to save her mentor with some vampire blood, admitting to Liam that she’s a vampire and then compelling everything away. He’s pretty much gone now.
But the family secrets are all about, with Tyler vowing to protect Liv if her coven comes looking for her, since she and Luke don’t exactly want to merge on their upcoming 22nd birthday.
Damon, meanwhile, wants to bring Bonnie because he misses her and also because he thinks Bonnie will convince Elena to be with him. So he compelled Alaric to get the Ascendant from Jo (even though Kai being released will place her life in danger) at any cost.
Finally, back in 1994, Kai took Bonnie to Portland and realized Jo his her magic in the aforementioned knife. He dug it out. He took its magic. He took some blood from Bonnie and now he thinks he can maybe return to present day.
We ended the hour with Bonnie alone in Portland, very afraid. As we all should be.
Talk about a busy hour, huh? You may need to watch The Vampire Diaries online in order to make sense of it all.
Then, check out the following trailer for The Vampire Diaries Season 6 Episode 9, which airs on December 4.