Gay Man Arrested in Missouri After Refusing to Leave Bedside of Sick Partner

by at . Comments

Roger Gorley, a gay man, was arrested this week at a Kansas City, Mo., hospital after he refused to the leave bedside of his sick partner of five years.


After Gorley arrived at Research Medical Center, a member of Allen Mansell's family asked him to leave, according to Kansas City Fox station WDAF.

When Gorley became upset and refused to exit the building, hospital security allegedly handcuffed him and forcefully removed him from the premises.

Now he cannot visit Mansell at all because of a restraining order.

“I was not recognized as the husband, as the partner,” Gorley told WDAF, adding that the nurse on duty refused to verify their joint Power of Attorney status.

“She didn’t even bother to go look it up to check into it."

"He’s been at the psychiatric unit part several times.”

In 2010, President Obama ordered all hospitals receiving Medicare and Medicaid payments to allow patients to determine visitation rights and medical decisions.

This right, having been extended to gay and lesbian partners, is supposed to give designated persons the same rights as immediate family members.

Obama said the new memorandum should "guarantee that all patients' advance directives, such as durable powers of attorney and health care proxies, are respected."

Despite this, some say discrimination continues.

In this particular cae, however, Research Medical Center responded to the allegations made by Gorley in a Facebook post on Thursday afternoon:

"This was an issue of disruptive, belligerent behavior by the visitor that affected patient care."

"Our response followed the same policies that would apply to any individual engaged in this behavior and was not in any way related to the patient’s or the visitor’s sexual orientation or marital status."

"This visitor created a barrier for us to care for the patient. Attempts were made to deescalate the situation. Unfortunately, we had no choice but to involve security and the Kansas City MO Police Department."

The hospital also denies it ever filed a restraining order.