The top two spots on this week’s American Idol Power Poll hold healthy leads over the rest of the field. That’s what happens when you make Paula Abdul cry and sing Simon Cowell’s theme song with such restraint and beauty.
Here are the current rankings:
1. David Archuleta: Imagine him as American Idol champion. It’s easy if you can. No hell below us. Above us only sky. Imagine all the people. Living for today, and this 17-year old singer.
2. Brooke White: Given a guitar, a stool and the Carly Simon hit song “You’re So Vain,” White sky-rocketed to this ranking after last week’s performance. We hope viewers reward her relaxed vocal stylings over other, louder singers.
3. Michael Johns: Bit of a complacent audition last week, but Johns still has the look and the talent to remain in the top three. No one else stepped up to take it from him.
4. Asiah Epperson: The young beauty chose a difficult song last week, but her version of “All By Myself” wasn’t nearly as atrocious as Simon made it out to be. Still has the look and personality to go far.
5. Carly Smithson: Sang “Crazy On You” last week, but we still can’t say we’re too crazy about Smithson. The talent is obviously there, but is yet to break through. Might be saving epic, David Archuleta-like performance for later rounds.