The Avengers sunk Rihanna's Battleship and everything else. Again.
The superhero smash raked in $55 million, maintaining its first place position at the box office for the third straight week. It has made $450 million domestically since its May 4 release and has earned over $1 billion nationally.
Battleship, which also stars Brooklyn Decker, Alexander Skarsgard and Liam Neeson, ended its debut weekend at #2 with a somewhat underwhelming $25.3 million.
Sacha Baron Cohen's zany The Dictator earned $24 million in its opening weekend, putting it in third place. Dark Shadows was next at $12.5 million.
What to Expect When You're Expecting, the ensemble comedy based on the book of the same name, debuted with a disappointing $10.3 million.
Rounding out the top 10:
- Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (No. 6, $3.5 million)
- The Hunger Games (No. 7, $2.8 million)
- Think Like a Man (No. 8, $2.7 million)
- The Lucky One (No. 9, $1.7 million)
- Pirates! Band of Misfits (No. 10, $1.6 million)