The mission, should Tom Cruise and company have chosen to accept it, was to come out on top this weekend at the box office, despite the presence of a certain damaged girl with a certain well-known tattoo.
And Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol - one of Cruise's best-ever reviewed films - accomplished this goal with ease, earning $26.5 million on Friday and Saturday.
The action flick beat out Sherlock Holmes and a disappointing Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, which debuted at number four with $13 million. Here is a look at the top 10 box office results:
- Mission: Impossible:Ghost Protocol - $26.5 million
- Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows - $17.8 million
- Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked - $13.3 million
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - $13 million
- The Adventures of Tintin - $9.1 million
- We Bought a Zoo - $7.8 million
- New Year's Eve - $3.0 million
- Arthur Christmas - $2.7 million
- The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 - $2.1 million
- Hugo - $2.0 million