Neither Justin Timberlake nor Johnny Depp were any match for a feline with a sword this weekend.
Puss in Boots took the two-day movie crown with $34 million, easily out-earning JT in In Time and Depp in The Rum Diary, among other competition.
Over half of Puss in Boots' tally came courtesy of 3D screenings, but it was actually Dreamworks’ third-worst debut for a computer animated flick, defeating only Flushed Away and Antz. A rundown of the box office results from Friday and Saturday is below:
- Puss in Boots: $34 million
- Paranormal Activity 3: $18.5 million
- In Time: $12 million
- Footloose: $5.4 million
- The Rum Diary: $5 million
- Real Steel: $4.7 million
- The Three Musketeers: $3.5 million
- The Ides of March: $2.7 million
- Moneyball: $2.4 million
- Courageous: $1.8 million