Skip to Content

Sad news out of the music world today, as multiple sources have confirmed the death of Fast Eddie Clarke, beloved guitarist of the iconic rock group Motörhead.

Clarke was the last surviving member of what’s regarded by fans as the band’s "classic lineup."

Fast Eddie Clarke

News of Clarke’s passing was first announced on the official Motörhead Facebook page this morning:

"We are devastated to pass on the news we only just heard ourselves earlier tonight,” the post read.

“Edward Allan Clarke – or as we all know and love him Fast Eddie Clarke – passed away peacefully yesterday.

"Ted Carroll (who formed Chiswick Records) made the sad announcement via his FB page, having heard from Doug Smith that Fast Eddie passed peacefully in hospital where he was being treated for pneumonia."

The message concluded:


"Fast Eddie…keep roaring, rockin’ and rollin’ up there as goddammit, man, your Motorfamily would expect nothing less!!!”

Clarke was with the band from 1976 until 1982, during which time, he helped record such classic albums as Ace of Spades and No Sleep ’til Hammersmith.

Clarke left the band abruptly in the middle of an American tour following a creative dispute.

While he was only with Motörhead for six years, his contribution to the group’s signature sound remained evident in the dozens of albums that followed his departure.

Clarke went on to form the band Fastway with UFO bassist Phil Way.

The group released seven studio albums over the course of thirty years.

Eddie Clarke Pic

Clarke’s passing represents the end of an era for Motörhead’s cultishly devoted fan base.

In 2015, the band’s legendary frontman Lemmy Kilmister passed away at the age of 70.

Just weeks prior, Phil Taylor, the best-known of the band’s many drummers, died unexpectedly at age 61.

As the last remaining member of the group’s most creatively fruitful years, Clarke was viewed as the final link to a bygone era in rock.

Tens of thousands of tributes to Clarke from family, friends, and a legion fans began flooding social media just minutes after news of his passing went public.