Skip to Content

Earlier this month, we reported that Dwayne Johnson saved his puppy from drowning after it ran headlong into the deep end of his pool and proved unable to doggy paddle.

The pup – Brutus – was one of two bulldog puppies that Johnson had recently adopted along with his longtime girlfriend, Lauren Hashian. (The other dog proved more adept at keeping his head above water.)

Sadly, it seems Brutus was simply not meant to be long for this world, as Johnson reported yesterday that he and Hashian were forced to have him put down after he ingested poisonous mushrooms in their backyard.

Dwayne Johnson Has Puppy Put Down

Johnson posted the above photo yesterday, along with a heartbreaking caption that proves The Rock is actually the ultimate softy:

"Another reminder we have to live and love as greatly as we can today, because tomorrow is never guaranteed. At approximately 11:15pm last night myself and @laurenhashianofficial had to make the painful decision to end Brutus’ suffering by taking him off of life support and sending his soul to pup heaven.

I held his lil’ paw as he was finally at peace. As all puppies and dogs do, he ate a mushroom while playing outside with his brother Hobbs. This mushroom happened to have a lethal toxicity and within hours it was rapidly destroying his liver and immune system to the point of no return.

I encourage all of you out there to be mindful of mushrooms in your yards, parks or anywhere outside your dogs play. What looks innocent, can be deadly to your lil’ family members."

No, we’re not sobbing hysterically. It’s these damn allergies.

Obviously horrendous news, particularly coming on the heels of the fantastic story of Dwayne saving Brutus’ life just a few weeks back.

On a lighter note, we recently learned that Johnson and Hashian are expecting their first child together. If it’s a boy, might we suggest the name Brutus? If any kid could live up to that badass of a name, it would be Dwayne’s.