And then there were two.
Yes, we know there are actually seven finalists remaining on American Idol – but can anyone envision a scenario in which Crystal Bowersox or Lee DeWyze does NOT take home the title?
We certainly hope not, as this pair is clearly the cream of the season nine crop. Each proved why during last night’s edition of the show, based around inspirational singles, putting on performances that brought many in the audience to tears.
We’ve ranked the top seven in order below. Just imagine a large space between number-two and all the others…
- Bowersox: Who needs a guitar?!? With a perfect rendition of “People Get Ready,” and with her father in the crowd, Crystal herself couldn’t stop from crying. But here’s encouraging news for the singer: she’s the one to beat.
- DeWyze: He took on “The Boxer,” a Paul Simon classic. It was a tender performance, one that lived up to the expectations of such a well-known, respected song. Awesome job.
- Casey James: Taken on its own, a solid take on “Don’t Stop.” But this singer sounds the same each week. Nothing stands out at this point, which might actually put Casey in danger of elimination this week.
- Siobhan Magnus: She took heat for her ballad of “When You Believe.” But who would you rank above her? Still has a great voice and great potential.
- Aaron Kelly: It’s difficult to get past the cheesy single he chose (“I Believe I Can Fly”), or even the shady persona of the dude who originally sang it (R. Kelly). But this Kelly connected with the audience in an impressive manner.
- Tim Urban: We’ve seen better recent performances from this cutie than his cover of “Better Days.” His time might finally be up.
- Michael Lynche: Another cheesy ballad, as Big Mike took a big chance with “Hero.” His voice just couldn’t carry such a tough song choice.
Who was your favorite performer of the night?