Manti Te'o finally appeared on camera today, for the first time since his girlfriend hoax went public, making one thing VERY clear to Katie Couric:
He is not gay.
Asked by the host about his sexuality - because some have speculated this might explain why Te'o would invent a woman named Lennay Kekua - Te'o was explicit in his response to the question of whether or not he's a homosexual:
"No. Far from it. FAR FROM IT."
Watch this offended response above and then scroll down for more interview highlights...
- Te'o showed Couric the Tweet sent by Ronaiah Tuiasosopo, which took responsibility for the scam and read: "I completely accept the consequences to the pain I've caused and it's important that you know the entire truth before anyone else."
- Te'o on the admission by Tuiasosopo that HE was on every phone call: "It didn't sound like a man... if he somehow made that voice, that's an incredible talent."
- Manti released voicemails left for him by "Lennay."
- Why didn't Te'o report Kekua's phone call on December 6 immediately, after learning something here was very much amiss? "I was scared and I didn't know what to do."
- What does he think of his NFL draft status? "That I don't know... Whatever happens happens... I hope and pray that good happens."
So, what do you think? Was Manti Te'o the complete victim of a hoax?