But in another example of the public disagreeing with the critics, Pacific Rim came in third place this week to a now twice-victorious Despicable Me 2 and Adam Sandler's Grown Ups 2.
Even though Despicable Me 2 took an almost 50 percent cut in revenue its second week out, it still beat Guillermo Del Toro's robots... handily.
Just goes to show, you can spend $190 million on making a movie and it doesn't mean you won't get beat out by a giggling Twinkie.
As for last week's big flop? Well, The Lone Ranger came in a distant fifth, being topped by The Heat, in its third week at the box office. Ouch.
This weekend's Top 10:
1. Despicable Me 2, $44.7 million
2. Grown Ups 2, $42.5 million
3. Pacific Rim, $38.3 million
4. The Heat, $13 million
5. The Lone Ranger, $11 million
6. Monsters University, $10.6 million
7. World War Z, $9.4 million
8. White House Down, $6 million
9. Kevin Hart: Let Me Explain, $5 million
10. Man of Steel, $4.8 million