Very sad news this week out of New Brunswick, Canada.
A 100-pound python escaped from its cage inside a pet store, found its way through a ventilation system and then fell through the ceiling of a room where a five-year old and seven-year old were sleeping.
The brothers had been visiting the apartment of a friend and were strangled to death.
Jean-Claude Savoie, the owner of the pet store, told the Global News that he didn't hear any sounds during the night and discovered the "horrific scene" when he went into his living room - where the two children, who belonged to his best friend, had been sleeping - on Monday morning.
Because African Rock Pythons do not target humans as food, a snake expert tells People that the animal may have been frightened and latched on to whereever it landed.
"A snake that size was just trying to hold on securely enough to make sure he felt like he wasn't falling or going anywhere; he has enough muscle power to cut off circulation," John Kendrick, a reptile store manager, explained to the publication.