His April 21st passing was sudden, and a shock to fans.
Today, law enforcement officials received back toxicology reports that confirm Prince's death.
"Tests show that Prince died of an opioid overdose, a law enforcement official has said," the Press Association tweeted before 12:30pm ET.
Prince was found in the elevator of his Paisley Park home in Minnesota. In the weeks leading up the incident, the 57-year-old singer has been suffering from flu-like symptoms, friends said.
Nearly a week before his death, Prince overdosed from Percocet (which sources claimed he had a "history" of abusing) while flying home from an Atlanta concert.
His plane had to make an emergency landing at an Illinois hospital, where the singer was given a "save" shot.
According to TMZ, the full medical examiner's report will be released tomorrow, June 3rd.
The DEA found prescription bottles in Prince's position at the time of death, according to NBC.
During a press conference, officials said they did not suspect foul play and there had been no obvious signs of trauma.
"The information we have for now is he was last seen at 8 p.m. on Wednesday night," the official told reporters.
"Staff members at Paisley Park were unable to locate Prince yesterday, and went to check on him."
Carver County Sheriff's Department's Chief Deputy Jason Kamerud told E! News in late April that authorities were "continuing to investigate the circumstances of Prince's death.
"The ME will provide toxicology results with her findings. I expect it to be a few weeks before we have her report(s)."
A local station alleged that prior to his death, Prince was seeking outpatient treatment for his addiction, but nothing was confirmed.
A source claimed that he had refills set up at different local pharmacies so as not to get caught with more prescriptions than he was prescribed.
Prince had no children and was unmarried at the time of his death.