Skip to Content

New details about the drowning of a Nebraska toddler at Walt Disney World have emerged.

Disney's Grand Floridian Resort
(GREGG NEWTON/AFP/Getty Images))

People Magazine obtained the 911 call placed on the evening of June 14th, after two-year-old Lane Graves was dragged into the man-made Seven Seas Lagoon by an alligator.

The person who placed the call originally thought Graves drowned on his own.

"Please come to the Grand Coridi-Floridian please. Someone drowned in the – in the – Seven Seas Lagoon … Lake," the caller explained, though the operator had a hard time understanding what happened.

"They’re in – at the pool?" the dispatcher asked.

"No. Lake," the caller said.

"In the lake?"


"You said they drowned there?" the operator asked.

"Um, someone drowned there – I just stayed in the pool. Please come to the Grand Floridian," the caller explained from a landline that was at one of the resort’s pools.

The dispatcher, according to People, asked the caller to hang up and call from a cell phone so that they could get closer to the scene on the beach and describe in better detail what had happened.

Authorities explained that two 911 calls related to the accident were place; the first one came from the lifeguard who was immediately notified by witnesses on the scene that Graves was dragged into the lake.

Each lifeguard stand at Walt Disney World pools (in resorts and at water parks) has the capability to automatically dial 911 if the lifeguard leaves to rescue someone.  

That way, authorities are aware of an emergency without having to speak directly to the lifeguard.

Reedy Creek Fire Department spokesman Bo Jones told ABC News that the second call (the one with more detail) came from a staff member at the Grand Floridian Hotel.  That person’s identity has not yet been revealed.

Updated signage and barricades have been installed on all Disney beaches to indicate the danger of alligators and snakes in the area.  The theme park is located in central Florida, which is essentially swampland.  

"We continue to evaluate processes and procedures for our entire property, an, as part of this, we are reinforcing training with our cast for reporting sightings and interactions with wildlife and are expanding our communication to guests on this topic."


This is in stark contrast to the old signs, which simply stated "NO SWIMMING."

Graves was wading in the shallow of the lagoon during the resort’s movie night around 9:30 pm.  

According to wildlife experts, an alligator was feeding and may have noticed motion on the bank.  The alligator, it’s believed, mistook Graves for a raccoon or other prey.

After an extensive search of the lagoon, Graves’ body was found about 10-15 feet from where he was dragged.

Fellow resort guest Jennifer Venditti Roye told People that her son had waded in the same area just an hour before the attack.

"It could have been [my son]," she admitted. "We had been there every night. What a tragedy. 

"Not at all did that cross my mind that there would be alligators in that area."