Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane now has something in common with Levi Johnston: both have been bitch slapped by the Palins.
On Sunday night, Fox aired an episode of this popular sitcom that featured a girl with Down Syndrome, who said at one point: "My mom’s the former governor of Alaska."
For a series known for crude and offensive humor, not much was actually made about the girl's state.
Stewie uttered the occasional rude line, but Stewie always utters the occasional rude line. It almost seemed as though MacFarlane inserted the Palin reference in there just to court controversy - and, of course, the self-absorbed "politician" snatched the bait.
Palin took to Facebook and said the joke was a “kick in the gut” because she it “mocked” her son, Trig, who has Down Syndrome. She then turned it over to her daughter because it's always healthy for an 18-year old to be in the center of a scandal.
When you’re the son or daughter of a public figure, you have to develop thick skin. My siblings and I all have that, but insults directed at our youngest brother hurt too much for us to remain silent. People with special needs face challenges that many of us will never confront, and yet they are some of the kindest and most loving people you’ll ever meet.
Their lives are difficult enough as it is, so why would anyone want to make their lives more difficult by mocking them? As a culture, shouldn’t we be more compassionate to innocent people – especially those who are less fortunate? Shouldn’t we be willing to say that some things just are not funny?
Are there any limits to what some people will do or say in regards to my little brother or others in the special needs community? If the writers of a particularly pathetic cartoon show thought they were being clever in mocking my brother and my family yesterday, they failed.
All they proved is that they’re heartless jerks.
THG's reaction to this mess:
- There's absolutely no way Bristol Palin wrote that;
- It's wrong to make fun of someone with Down Syndrome;
- The show is an equal opportunity offender. Family Guy quotes take swipes at every race, religion and disability. Do they sometimes cross the line? Yes. We were appalled that the sitcom made multiples jokes about rape two weeks ago. But it's been on the air for eight seasons and there's clearly a market for its niche.
- Palin had no problem when Rush Limbaugh used the word "retard" multiple times last month because she deemed his rant against Democrats to be "satire." And Family Guy would be what, Sarah, Pulitzer Prize-worthy drama?
- If Palin were truly interested in anything but getting her name in the newspaper, she'd ignore this type of baiting. Her desperate need for PR is the only reason Levi Johnston is still around. If she'd ignored his taunts months ago, the world would have forgotten about him by now.
- No respectable political figure issues statements from her Facebook account.
- Examples such as this prove why Palin is closer to Tila Tequila than Hilary Clinton.
You've heard from us. Now, we wanna hear from you: Whose side are you on in this feud?