by Free Britney at . Comments

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev will face the death penalty for his role in the Boston Marathon bombing if the U.S. has its way, Attorney General Eric Holder saod today.

He was arrested for the blasts last April that killed three people, injured more than 260 others, and sent a wave of shock and fear through Massachusetts.

Prosecutors notified a federal judge in Boston today of the decision.

“After consideration of the relevant facts, the applicable regulations and the submissions made by the defendant’s counsel," Holder said in a statement.

"I have determined that the United States will seek the death penalty in this matter. The nature of the conduct at issue and the resultant harm compel this decision."

With the authorization, the U.S. attorney’s office can move forward in requesting a trial date. The death penalty can also now be a factor in any plea negotiations.

Continue Reading...

by Steve Marsi at . Comments

Ibragim Todashev, a friend of deceased Boston Marathon bombings suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev, told police that Tsarnaev participated in a triple murder in 2011.

Todashev was killed by an FBI agent who was interviewing him in May. His death is under investigation. Tsarnaev was killed days after the April 15 bombings.

After the attack, police began taking a closer look at whether Tamerlan Tsarnaev, who knew the Waltham, Mass., murder victims, was involved in that case.

Todashev’s statement that Tamerlan Tsarnaev was involved in the murders was previously reported. But a court filing this week was the first confirmation.

“According to Todashev, Tamerlan Tsarnaev participated in the Waltham homicides,” prosecutors said in the filing, though officials did not elaborate.

Continue Reading...

by Free Britney at . Comments

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the accused Boston Marathon bomber,has  asked a judge to lift some of the restrictions on him in prison that he says are unfair.

Lawyers for Tsarnaev say the conditions he is being kept in are overly harsh, have left him nearly totally isolated, and are impairing their ability to defend him.

Tsarnaev's lawyers filed a motion claiming he is confined to his cell except for visits from them and has "very limited access" to a small outdoor enclosure.

In their motion, his team said "Special Administrative Measures" were imposed on their client beginning in August, at the request of the US Attorney's office.

"SAMs," as they are known, are used in terrorism and other high-profile cases involving "substantial risk" with a defendant's communications or contacts.

Continue Reading...

by Free Britney at . Comments

Jack Osbourne has started a petition urging Rolling Stone to donate all of its profits from the new issue featuring a Dzhokhar Tsarnaev cover story.

The magazine ignited national outcry when it unveiled its August cover, humanizing the man allegedly behind the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing.

  • Jack Osbourne Picture
  • Dzhokhar Tsarnaev Photograph

Seeing Dzhokhar Tsarnaev a la Jim Morrison or Bob Dylan on the cover sparked more than a few boycott efforts, but Jack came up with an alternative.

His petition on Change.org encourages Rolling Stone to donate all profits, retail and ad-based, from the current edition’s sale to the bombing victims.

“Glamorizing a suspected terrorist on the cover of Rolling Stone Magazine is not controversial, it’s just wrong," the son of Ozzy and Sharon writes.

Continue Reading...

by Free Britney at . Comments

Rolling Stone's Dzhokhar Tsarnaev cover story has inspired an ever-growing list of boycotts among retail outlets, including now by 7-Eleven stores.

  • 7-Eleven Logo
  • Dzhokhar Tsarnaev Rolling Stone Cover

The chain is joining the outrage at Rolling Stone, which put Dzhokhar Tsarnaev on the cover with a piece on his life leading up to the Boston bombing.

A rep for 7-Eleven, Inc. says that it "will not sell the August 1 issue of the Rolling Stone magazine" inside any of its 1,700 company-operated stores.

There are another 5,900 franchised stores, and the rep says they'll also urge those franchise owners to pull the issue spotlighting the alleged terrorist.

CVS, Walgreens, and Stop & Shop have also boycotted the issue.

What do you think of the controversial Rolling Stone cover?

 

by Hilton Hater at . Comments

With controversy swirling over the latest Rolling Stone cover - it features Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev and teases how he "became a monster" - the magazine has come out with an online statement.

As an editor's note to the Web version of the story, Rolling Stone writes:

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev Rolling Stone Cover

“Our hearts go out to the victims of the Boston Marathon bombing, and our thoughts are always with them and their families. The cover story we are publishing this week falls within the traditions of journalism and Rolling Stone’s long-standing commitment to serious and thoughtful coverage of the most important political and cultural issues of our day. "

Continue Reading...

by Hilton Hater at . Comments

The CVS magazine rack will be without one of its usual items this month.

The chain announced today that it will not sell the Dzhokhar Tsarnaev Rolling Stone issue, the cover of which hit the Internet today and has stirred up quite a bit of controversy online.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev Rolling Stone Cover

Explaining the store's decision to not provide publicity for the man at the center of the Boston Marathon bombing, a rep for CVS said in a statement:

"As a company with deep roots in New England and a strong presence in Boston, we believe this is the right decision out of respect for the victims of the attack and their loved ones."

Continue Reading...

by Free Britney at . Comments

The vaunted cover of Rolling Stone magazine has most often been the domain of musicians, actors, comedians, and the occasional politician.

But this week, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev gets the honors.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev Rolling Stone Cover

The issue, which hits newsstands Friday, features an picture of an unsmiling Boston Marathon bombing suspect above the bolded legend "The Bomber."

The subheading promises to reveal "[h]ow a popular, promising student was failed by his family, fell into radical Islam, and became a monster."

What it may reveal, however, is how a magazine can stoop to a new low. The RS cover quickly drew sharp, negative reaction on social media.

Continue Reading...

by Free Britney at . Comments

Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev appeared in court today, pleading not guilty to 30 offenses including use of a weapon of mass destruction.

In his first public appearance since being arrested on April 19, Tsarnaev leaned toward a microphone and said, "Not guilty," in a Russian accent.

The defendant then said not guilty repeatedly about a half-dozen more times.

It's not clear when he will face trial, or if he will eventually change his plea.

Federal prosecutors are weighing whether to pursue the death penalty for the 19-year-old Tsarnaev, yet it seems highly unlikely that they would not.

Continue Reading...

by Hilton Hater at . Comments

According to The Associated Press, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is up and walking and told his mother in a recent phone conversation that he's innocent of last month's Boston Marathon bombings.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev Photograph

The chat took place last week, with reports confirming that Tsarnaev walked without a wheelchair for the first time since his arrest.

It was also the first and only time he has talked to his mother since he and his brother fled Boston police and helped shut down the city just a few weeks ago.

Continue Reading...