Crystal meth, aka the foundation of Walter White's empire on Breaking Bad, isn't a regular drug in the UK. But thanks to the popular show, and a shocking death, the illicit substance is garnering attention.
Romano Dias, 55, took what a drink of what he believed to be fruit juice and was dead within minutes. Dias' daughter, Katee, thought the beverage she found in a package not addressed to her which arrived at their home to be a health drink.
There's a reason it's a Federal offense to mess with other people's mail. A serious and deadly reason.
Katee arrived home one day to find a package on her doorstep. It wasn't addressed to her, but the street numbers were hers. Thinking there was a mixup and that a neighbor would come looking for it, she took the package inside. Six months later she opened it and eventually passed the contents on to her father.
The bottle was labeled a health drink, but it actually contained $55,000 worth of pure, liquid methamphetamine. Police believe the package was intended for a dealer as a way of introducing the substance into the UK.