Brooke Burke-Charvet will not be by Tom Bergeron's side on Dancing With the Stars in 2014, and it was not the co-host's choice to bid the show farewell.
The 42-year-old confirmed her abrupt, surprising departure Friday.
"I have enjoyed seven seasons co-hosting DWTS but understand the need for change considering the position of the show at this juncture," she said in a statement.
Putting a positive spin on it as best she can, Brooke Burke says:
"I've always been one to embrace change and looking forward to pursuing opportunities I previously wasn't able to entertain because of contractual obligations."
But in an appropriately-worded parting shot, she adds, "I've seen my fair share of shocking eliminations in the ballroom but this one takes the cake."
Sources tell E! that Burke-Charvet had no idea her job was on the line until ABC apparently informed her Friday afternoon she wouldn't be returning.