Broadway Show Canceled After Stagehand Dies Backstage from Overdose
Broadway's "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying" canceled their 100th performance Wednesday night when a stagehand was found backstage in cardiac arrest following a drug overdose.
The 29-year-old man, whose name is not being released pending notification of family, was found unconscious in a bathroom. “It was a stagehand who had done something terrible to himself,” a theater industry executive told the New York Times.
An announcement was made around 8:20 p.m. that the performance would be delayed, and another followed at 8:50 p.m. While hundreds of audience members waited in their seats, the stagehand was taken from the theater by ambulance to a nearby hospital, where he was pronounced dead on arrival.
Around 9:00 p.m., the show's stars, Daniel Radcliffe and John Larroquette, came on stage to address the audience.
"They said they debated it for a long time, and that there was a tragedy and they didn't feel comfortable performing," said Barbara Germain, a member of the audience.
Another audience member, Suzanne Jewell, said the men "apologized to everyone, but said it wouldn't be fair to us because they would not have been able to give a good performance."
Investigators do not suspect criminality and believe the man died from an overdose. An autopsy is being performed.
Management will be issuing refunds to those who were in attendance.
photo: Joseph Marzullo/WENN