That may have been the worst 30 minutes of our lives.
We just sat through a press conference hosted by Donald Trump, the owner of the Miss USA pageant, as he spoke glowingly about Carrie Prejean and gave her the opportunity to stand on a soap box and peer down at the ignorant, hateful Americans that dared to question her right of free speech.
Before we detail the event in full, here's a nauseating rundown of the main points:
- Prejean will remain Miss California USA;
- Trump would love to have Perez Hilton as a judge again next year;
- Carrie's grandfather fought at The Battle of the Bulge in World War II and (cue tears!) Carrie said what happened to her should NOT happen in America. It undermines the Constitutional rights her grandfather fought for.
- Regarding the topless photos that were leaked this morning, Prejean said (READY FOR THIS????) that they were the result of a "windy day" and that she had no idea the photographer would ever release them.
- Seriously, folks: Carrie Prejean claims the wind, and an immoral photographer, are to blame for this picture!
It bears repeating, over and over and over: Carrie Prejean says she is only showing a nipple in this photograph because it was a "windy day."
The press conference began with Trump, clearly loving the attention, summarizing the recent series of events involving Miss California. He said she gave an "honorable" answer to a controversial, fair question and that Carrie's response echoed that of the President of the United States.
He also said if Prejean's beauty wasn't so great, nobody really would have cared what she said. (Got that message, ladies? Ugly women needn't ever bother giving their opinions!)
Trump said he reviewed the semi-naked photos carefully and emphasized that this is the "21st century." He determined the photos were "fine... beautiful... risque.. and, in many cases, actually lovely."
Regarding Miss California officials Keith Lewis and Shanna Moakler, Trump said they met for hours with Prejean in his office. The miscommunication issues they had with her are "totally solved" and Carrie will make them proud.
It was then time for Prejean to read a statement from the podium.