David Muir is about to receive a major promotion.
ABC announced this morning that the weekend anchor of World News (since February 2011) will take over as main anchor and managing editor of the weeknight program effective September 2.
He'll replace Diane Sawyer, who is stepping down after five years in the top chair.
"For many years to come Diane will be a driving force at ABC News with her exceptional storytelling genius," said ABC News President James Goldston in a statement, explaining Sawyer's future role on the network.
"She will create innovative television specials and events, and, of course, continue to conduct the biggest interviews with the most important and extraordinary people in the world. Starting this summer she will begin to develop these new stories."
Ratings-wise, World News is up versus the same point last year in viewers and adults between the ages of 25 and 54, delivering its most-watched season in since Sawyer took over.
Said the long-time journalist in a statement of her own:
After wonderful years at World News I decided it is time to move to a new full time role at ABC News. I’ll be joined by an incredible team of journalists dedicated to enterprise reporting, innovative approaches to breaking news and new ways of thinking about big issues and events around the world.
I can’t wait to continue bringing more of my specials to prime time and appearing on all ABC News broadcasts, as well.