Despite less than stellar Thor: The Dark World reviews, the latest blockbuster from Marvel lived up to the hype and expectations this weekend, taking a hammer to all box office competition.
The Chris Hemsworth film pulled in $86.1 million on Friday and Saturday.
This figure is over $20 million above what the original earned in May of 2011 and placed it well (well, well, well) ahead of number-two finishes Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa.
Ender's Game, which finished on top last weekend, tumbled to number-five after seven days in release, while Free Birds and Last Vegas were sandwiched in before it.
Here is a look at the Top 10 grossing movies of the weekend:
- Thor: The Dark World: $86.1 million
- Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa: $11.3 million
- Free Birds: $11.2 million
- Last Vegas: $11.1 million
- Ender's Game: $10.25 million
- Gravity: $8.4 million
- 12 Years a Slave: $6.6 million
- Captain Phillips: $5.8 million
- About Time: $5.2 million
- Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2: $2.8 million