When many couples get engaged these days, their first thought is not telling their close friends and family, but "OMG, I can't wait to post on Facebook!"
Even if this isn't you, chances are you've experienced it from someone you know. And chances are equally high that you've been irked by it somehow.
While brides (and husbands) to be can be cut a little slack - if you want to get married and someone asks, it's exciting - the Facebook posts about it?
Those need to be reevaluated. Hardcore.
Ashley Hesseltine, via The Huffington Post, breaks down the offending announcements into five common, hilarious and sort of infuriating categories:
- The BFF. Example: "I can't wait to marry my best friend!" Is he really, though? Is your partner not more than that, and also less in a different sense? Is that a diss to your current BFF(s)? Or is this just the cliche to end all cliches?
- The Single Lady. Example: "He liked it so he put a ring on it!" The all-too common practice of quoting Beyonce's 2008 hit is beyond played out and beyond cheesy. Next.
- The Name Changer. Example: "Can't wait to be Mrs. (Your First Name) (His Last Name)!" So much faux excitement over a loss of identity and trip to the DMV.
- The Obvious. Example: "He proposed, and I said YES!" Ya think? We'd love to see the time someone gets proposed to, rejects the dude and posts that on their wall.
- The Nauseating Nostalgia. Example: "Three years ago, a cute boy glanced at me from across the bar and I knew then it was love at first sight ... Today, he asked me to be his wife." If that doesn't make you throw up in your mouth a little, we don't know what will.
Have you made a Facebook engagement announcement? Did it fall into one or more of these areas? And should the words "fairy tale" be banned online in general?
Comment below, and vote for the most annoying status update!