The long-awaited sci-fi saga Ender’s Game rocketed to the top of the U.S. box office, but Thor: The Dark World may have been the true star of the weekend.
Ender’s Game netted an estimated $28 million through Sunday, but Thor posted the fourth-highest international debut this year with $109.4 million.
Thor hits theaters in the U.S. this coming weekend, and if that the international haul is any indication, you can expect a debut that far eclipses Ender's.
For Ender’s Game, the start comes as something of a disappointment, considering the expectations and the film's $110 million production budget.
In second place domestically was Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa, which saw a better-than-expected hold, down just 36 percent from a big debut.
Landing in third place domestically, the adult-targeted Last Vegas came in a bit higher than expected, with roughly $16.5 million in three days.
Here's this week's U.S. box office Top 10 (with week of release):
- Ender’s Game (1): $28.0 million
- Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa (2): $20.5 million
- Last Vegas (1): $16.5 million
- Free Birds (1): $16.2 million
- Gravity (5): $13.1 million
- Captain Phillips (4): $8.5 million
- 12 Years a Slave (3): $4.6 million
- Cloudy … With Meatballs 2 (6): $4.2 million
- Carrie (3): $3.4 million
- The Counselor (2): $3.3 million
Here's an early look at next weekend's box office winner ...