Fortunately, or unfortunately, she got sick and went to the doctor, who was so stumped that he had to call the state health department for guidance.
The agency told the doctor to have his patient de-wormed by way of a special medication that kills the parasite. Yes ... he had a woman de-wormed.
Dr. Patricia Quinlisk, medical director at the Iowa Department of Public Health, recounted the incident in an e-mail to public-health workers Thursday.
“Ingesting tapeworms is an extremely risky endeavor and can cause a wide range of undesirable side effects, including rare deaths,” Quinlisk wrote.
“Those desiring to lose weight are advised to stick with proven weight loss methods; consuming fewer calories and increasing physical activity.”
Tapeworms are parasites that can afflict humans who eat undercooked meat. Experts say the idea that they can "help" in any way is misguided.
Notes USA Today:
"One tapeworm can't absorb enough food and nutrients to make a big difference in weight... the parasite can cause anemia and malnutrition."
Other symptoms of tapeworm infestation, according to experts, include having pieces of them stick out of your mouth after a cesarean section. Seriously.
This is followed by a "burning sensation" after you pull the four-foot long worm out. Makes watching the Octomom porn sound almost pleasant.