Boston Bombing Arrest Reportedly Made; Suspect Caught on Surveillance Video

by at .  Updated at . Comments

A suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings has been arrested, a law enforcement official briefed on the ongoing investigation said just moments ago.

There are conflicting reports as to whether this is true, however.

Boston Bombing Scene

The official was not authorized to divulge details of the investigation, but confirmed that the Boston Marathon bombing suspect was taken into custody.

Federal marshals reportedly made the arrest, then moved him to Boston courthouse, officials said, though other accounts suggest it has yet to occur.

In any case, the FBI is planning a 5:00 p.m. news conference.

The official spoke after media outlets reported that a suspect was identified from surveillance video taken at a Lord & Taylor store between the two bomb blasts.

According to CNN's John King, two sources told him earlier that officials believe they have identified one suspect from the Lord & Taylor store cameras.

King also said Boston mayor Tom Menino told him that there had been significant progress in the investigation, though Menino was not one of his sources.

It's worth noting that there has been no shortage of disappointing false leads, hoaxes, and Internet theories that go nowhere in cases like these.

It is unlikely this is the Boston Marathon bombing suspect reportedly identified on 4Chan and other boards earlier today, although it's unclear now.

In any case, investigators are hot on the trail.

King said the video showed "what they believe to be a clear video image of the suspect approaching a site, placing a package, and leaving the site."

Not only "placing a package that matches the description of what they had been looking for, but they believe they have a clear identification, including a facial image of a suspect."

"The question I have been unable to answer is whether they are searching for that suspect, whether they have a name attached, or whether that suspect might be in custody."

Another official told the Boston Globe that authorities identified a suspect carrying, and perhaps dropping, a black bag at the second bombing scene on Boylston Street.

Investigators are “very close” in the investigation, said the official.

A massive investigation remains underway, involving local, state, and federal law enforcement, and officials have promised to go to the “ends of the earth.”

Three people died and at least 176 were injured, many of them severely, in the two terrifying Boston Marathon bombings this past Monday afternoon.

Story developing ...

Tags: ,
Avatar

My local Fox News is stating they have the suspect in custody and he is currently at a Boston courthouse...

× Close Ad