From a soldier-turned-spy-turned-confused-lover to the transformation of a high school junior into a vampire, the world of television was filled with plenty of jaw-dropping moments in 2012.
And we've collected the 12 best below.
As part of our year-end series (check out our Top Memes of 2012, along with the Top Videos of the past dozen months), THG now takes readers through the small screen scenes and developments that left us uttering: O... M...G!
12. The Grey's Anatomy plane crash. Was it typically contrived drama from Shonda Rhimes? Of course. But long-time viewers of this ABC favorite can't deny the deadly impact of that flight hitting the ground in May.
11. Bill Compton goes bad. Yes, True Blood Season 5 really went there. Every time you thought Sookie's first love would admit he was simply playing a long con, the series continued to drive the shocking fact home: Bill really did believe every evil word out of his mouth. Then he turned into some kind of gooey new being.
10. Gossip Girl is revealed. Just a couple years ago, this would have been in contention for top moment of the TV year. But The CW drama fell out of favor even with long-time fans and, by the end of its run, was drawing under one million viewers per week. Dan Humphrey as Gossip Girl? Not a bad choice, but we stopped caring ages ago.
9. Game of Thrones, "Blackwater." Just the entire episode. Not just the most action-packed hour of Game of Thrones Season 2, or the most action-packed hour of television in 2012. Probably the most action on the small and big screen of the past year. Amazing visuals all around.
8. Opie has got this. One of the saddest deaths of the year took place early on Sons of Anarchy Season 5, as a lead pipe to the skull led to the demise of Ryan Hurst's tough, big-hearted character. A stunning, violent death and the driving force of the rest of the season.