With Kate Middleton and Prince William expecting their first child in 2013, we got to thinking recently. What should the royal bundle of joy be named?
Ever since the news that William got Kate Middleton pregnant broke, speculation has been swirling regarding its gender, and what they will call it.
One thing's for sure: The baby will be the heir(ess) to the throne behind William, thanks to a change in the rules of succession. A very cool thing.
What will the future King or Queen of the UK and all its territories be called?
It won't be something original, that's a safe bet. The royal family is steeped in tradition, so expect that to continue with an old-fashioned, classic choice.
Here are 13 suggestions for 2013's #1 celebrity baby:
- Albert. A regal moniker often found in national lore.
- Alice. Sweet, pretty, classic and popular in Britain.
- Arthur. King Arthur, people. Think about it.
- Caroline. After Catherine's mom Carole?
- Charlotte. A feminization of Charles (as is Caroline), and thus a perfect choice for Charles' granddaughter, as both will reign one day.
- Diana. Would they go there? Despite William's reverence for his late mother, he may not want to invite the comparisons (a middle name is another story).
- Eleanor. Symbolic of strength in challenging environs.
- Frederick. Regal in full form, cute/trendy as Freddie.
- George. Without a doubt one of the most famous male names throughout British history; Queen Elizabeth II's grandfather was named George.
- James. Does it get more traditionally British?
- Matilda. See Leopold, only for girls.
- Philip. Would be a nod to the Queen's husband and the boy's great-grandfather, Prince Philip. A likely choice for a middle name, if not.
- Victoria. One of the most famous queens in British history, but also a name signifying great history and strength, while remaining popular today.
What do you think of these 13 Kate Middleton baby names? Do you like them, or do you fancy others such as Alexandra and Edward, or others entirely?
Vote in the surveys below and share your comments with us!
What should Kate Middleton and Prince William name a girl?
What should Kate Middleton and Prince William name a boy?