Two more cannon shots were heard around the country this week, as The Hunger Games defeated a pair of widely hyped newcomers to wear the box office crown for the third week in a row.
Neither American Reunion nor Titanic 3D were any match for Katniss and company: the big screen version of Suzanne Collins' novel earned $33.5 million on Friday and Saturday to become the sixth-fastest film to reach $300 in domestic receipts.
At this pace, The Hunger Games is on target for a final U.S. gross of between $360 million and $370 million.
Here's a look at the top five finishers from Easter weekend:
- The Hunger Games: $33.5 million
- American Reunion: $21.5 million
- Titanic 3D: $17.4 million
- Wrath of the Titans: $15.0 million
- Mirror Mirror: $11.0 million