George Zimmerman, the former neighborhood watch volunteer accused of murdering Trayvon Martin, has raised at least $200,000 online to fund his defense.
Donors contributed "just over $200,000" on a website to help pay for the defense of Zimmerman, who was released on bail earlier this week, his lawyer said.
Mark O'Mara added that the site, therealgeorgezimmerman (dot) com, has since been shut down for unknown reasons and Zimmerman remains in hiding.
Zimmerman is living in an undisclosed location as he awaits trial on charges of second-degree murder in the February shooting death of Trayvon Martin.
The killing, which took place as Martin walked unarmed through a gated community in the central Florida town of Sanford, has gained national attention.
Zimmerman has pleaded not guilty and says he killed Martin in self defense. In a stunning move, he apologized to Martin's family at his bail hearing.
The sensational case has prompted civil rights protests and a national debate over guns, self-defense laws, racial profiling and media bias in America.
O'Mara told CNN that he would inform the judge in the case of the funds he has raised on Friday. No date has been set for his official arraignment.