A mesmerizing Grammy act and an untimely death both played a major role in the latest Billboard 200 top 10.
Fresh off six wins and her first live performance since throat surgery (below), Adele sold 237,000 albums last week (resulted are tracked through Sunday night), a 95 percent increase from the previous seven days and enough to keep "21" atop the chart for the 20th week.
It has now moved 6.6 million copies.
Following Houston's passing, meanwhile, "Whitney: The Greatest Hits," sold 64,000 units, which represents an increase of, oh, 5,994 percent from the prior week. Expect this trend to continue for the foreseeable future, as it so often does in death.Here is a look at the top 10:
- Adele, 21 – 237,000
- Van Halen, A Different Kind Of Truth – 187,000
- Various Artists, Now 41 – 142,000
- The Fray, Scars & Stories – 87,000
- Paul McCartney, Kisses On The Bottom – 74,000
- Whitney Houston, The Greatest Hits – 64,000
- Dierks Bentley, Home – 55,000
- Various Artists, 2012 Grammy Nominees – 51,000
- Adele, 19 – 36,000
- Drake, Take Care – 32,000