Perhaps Astro is not so sorry after all.
Less than a week after sulking over his placement in the bottom two of Thursday's results show, and just a couple days after apologizing for his immature behavior, this 15-year old X Factor contestant is speaking out yet again.
And he's telling The New York Post the show was "punishing" him for an off-camera dispute in which Astro insisted on wearing Beats headphones even though the show has a deal with Sony.
“I don’t see how you can have the most followers on Twitter out of everybody in the competition and get voted in the bottom two," Astro aid. "So, I thought something was jiggy.”
Simon Cowell berated the finalist, saying his actions last week showed "disrespect" to his mom. But Astro insists his mother was behind him all the way."She knew what was going on,” he says. “She was tellin’ me, ‘Just leave. You need to leave and go home.’ It’s stupid, you know. But I told my mom, ‘Let’s at least try it one more time. Let’s get one more week in.’"
Meaning, what? Astro will walk away this week if he's again in the bottom pair? It's unclear, but Astro defends his attitude by saying The X Factor is a "competition."
“We are all fighting to stay here. How you going to say I’m cocky? Muhammad Ali does this. It’s not cocky, it’s confidence," he says. "Where I am from, I had to fight every day just to keep my name, Astro. I had to battle every day with someone on the corner. On the way to school, on the way everywhere... I am not backing down.”