Shakira and the Obama Administration have announced that she will be a member of the President's Advisory Commission on Educational Excellence for Hispanics.
Seriously. The White House said in a statement:
“I am grateful that these impressive individuals have chosen to dedicate their talents to serving the American people at this important time for our country ... I look forward to working with them in the months and years ahead.”
More than a wildly successful singer and celebrity news staple (Shakira and Gerard Pique have reportedly called things off), her list of accomplishments include:
- Founding the Barefoot Foundation in 1995, which operates schools & educational projects for over 6,000 children in Colombia, South Africa, and Haiti.
- Collaborating with the World Bank and the Barefoot Foundation to craft initiatives to distribute Latin American educational and developmental programs.
- Becoming a founding member of Latin America in Solidarity Action, a coalition of artists and business leaders seeking to promote early childhood policies.
- Serving as Honorary Chair of Global Campaign for Education Global Action Week.
- Serving as U.N. Goodwill Ambassador for the Children's Emergency Fund