Announcing her bid for the presidency Monday, Michele Bachmann noted that she shares her birthplace of Waterloo, Iowa, with acting legend John Wayne.
"Just like John Wayne is from Waterloo, Iowa, that's the kind of spirit I have too. It's embracing America. It's sacrificing for America," Bachmann said.
The problem? The Duke is from Winterset, Iowa, about 150 miles away. John Wayne Gacy, the notorious rapist and serial killer, hails from Waterloo.
While an honest mistake, and no big deal in the grand scheme, such gaffes and other ridiculous Michele Bachmann quotes pop up with surprising frequency.
As Bachmann, who now represents a Minnesota district in the U.S. House, gears up for her presidential run, we pulled together a greatest hits list.
Much like Sarah Palin's greatest hits, some of these Bachmann lines seem straight out of The Onion, classic "did this really happen?" moments ...- "And what a bizarre time we're in, when a judge will say to little children that you can't say the pledge of allegiance, but you must learn that homosexuality is normal and you should try it."
- "(Gay marriage) is probably the biggest issue that will impact our state and our nation in the last, at least, thirty years. I am not understating that."
- “During the last 100 days we have seen an orgy. It would make any local smorgasbord embarrassed … The government spent its wad by April 26.”
- "The President of the United States will be taking a trip over to India that is expected to cost the taxpayers $200 million a day."
- "But we also know that the very founders that wrote those documents worked tirelessly until slavery was no more in the United States." (On the Constitution, drafted close to a century before slavery was abolished)
- "It is horrific to know that in the African American community, 50 percent of all African American pregnancies in the United States end in abortion, 50 percent. That is a genocide of African Americans of the United States. It should not be."
- "Carbon dioxide is portrayed as harmful. But there isn't even one study that can be produced that shows that carbon dioxide is a harmful gas."
- "You're the state where the shot was heard around the world in Lexington and Concord." Sadly, the first shots of the Revolutionary War were fired in Massachusetts, not the Granite State, where she was speaking.
- Bachmann criticized the USA's current tax code as "a weapon of mass destruction" in a speech delivered to South Carolina Republican activists.
- Bachmann derided Planned Parenthood as "the LensCrafters of big abortion."
- She referred to the administration as a "gangster government," and said "I think there have been actions taken by the government that are corrupt."
- In 2006, Bachmann said, "There are hundreds and hundreds of scientists, many of them holding Nobel Prizes, who believe in intelligent design."
- Bachmann suggested that proposed financial regulatory reform was reminiscent of Italy under the rule of fascist dictator Benito Mussolini.
- "Hey, I took karate when I was 17 years old, I am dangerous." (on whether she could "take" President Obama)
- Bachmann issued a warning in March of 2009 on her fear that the USA might wind up abandoning "the dollar for a multinational currency."
- "I want people in Minnesota armed and dangerous on this issue of the energy tax because we need to fight back."
- "Not all cultures are equal."
- "Why does the government need our phone numbers? You know the question that's not on this survey? Are you a U.S. citizen? This would be your perfect opportunity to find out how many illegal aliens are in the United States." (on the U.S. Census)
- After receiving a lei at the airport in Hawaii, she wore it while addressing Congress, saying "I'm reminded that the one who created this lei also created our freedom. Are we so insensible to the high cost our forebearers paid to purchase our freedom?" So ... the Hawaiian Bureau of Tourism created freedom.
- "If we look at the collection of friends that Barack Obama has had in his life, it calls into question what Barack Obama's true beliefs and values and thoughts are. His attitudes, values, and beliefs of the United States... is negative."
- In July of last year, Bachmann accused the Obama administration of "turning our country into a nation of slaves."
- Bachmann expressed concern that White House was trying to put in place "re-education camps for young people, where young people have to go and get trained in a philosophy that the government puts forward."
- "[Nancy Pelosi] is committed to her global warming fanaticism to the point where she has said she has even said she is trying to save the planet. We all know that someone did that 2,000 years ago."
- "A woman (Terri Schiavo) was healthy. There was brain damage, there was no question. But from a health point of view, she was not terminally ill."