During an exchange with reporters last night, Tom Hanks said he could remember “when Ricky Gervais was a slightly chubby but very kind comedian.” Chimed in Tim Allen: “Neither of which he is now.”
Indeed, not every Golden Globe attendee enjoyed the host's routine at the ceremony, the first 10 minutes of which you can watch HERE and almost all of which included jabs at nominees, the Hollywood Foreign Press Association and even religion at one point.
How did Gervais feel about his performance? After the event, he told The Los Angeles Times:
"I hope everyone took it well... I hope they can all take a bit of roasting from a nobody like me. Did I think twice about any of [the jokes]? No, I didn't. I'd say any of that to their faces, I'd walk up to them and say it. That's the test for me. And it's in good fun."We've compiled a handful of the comedian's zingers below. Think any of these crossed the line?
- “It’s going to be a night of partying and heaving drinking - or as Charlie Sheen calls it: breakfast.”
- “Everything this year was three-dimensional, except the characters in The Tourist. I feel bad about that joke. I’m jumping on the bandwagon, because I haven’t even seen that movie. Who has?”
- “Do you want to go see Cher? No. Why not? Because it’s not 1975.”
- “There were a lot of big films that didn’t get nominated. Nothing for Sex and the City 2. I was sure the Golden Globes for special effects would go to the team that airbrushed that poster.”
- “Also not nominated I Love You Phillip Morris. Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor. Two heterosexual actors pretending to be gay. So, the complete opposite of some famous Scientologist... My lawyers helped me with the wording of that joke.”
- “Our first presenter is beautiful, talented, and Jewish apparently. Mel Gibson told me that. He’s obsessed. Please welcome Scarlett Johansson.”
- “Who are our next presenter from such films as Hudson Hawk, Look Who’s Talking, Mercury Rising, Color of Night, The Fifth Element, Hart’s War. Please welcome Aston Kutcher’s dad, Bruce Willis.”
- “Next up, Eva Longoria has the daunting task of introducing the president of the Hollywood Foreign Press. That’s nothing, I had just had to help him off the toilet and pop his teeth in.”
- “I love this next presenter; he’s so cool. He’s the star of Iron Man. Two Girls and a Guy. Wonderboys. I’m sorry are these porn films? Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Bowfinger? Up the Academy. Come on! He has done all of those films, but many of you in this room probably know him best from such facilities as The Betty Ford Clinic and the Los Angeles County Jail. Robert Downey, Jr.”
- “And thank you to God. For making me an atheist.”